Friday, May 27, 2011

The Life of a Spy Chapter Two

I walked over to the bed and picked up the briefcase, the only thing in this old house that had any sense of belonging at this point.
It was time to leave.
I slipped back out of the dead son’s room and down the hallway with the warped walls hanging overhead and the living carpet that seemed to try and hold me back. When I finally got to the front door I knew that once I was through the door to my previous life would be closed forever and a new world would be open for me to explore.
“What have you got there?” The man asked when I returned to the military base.
“Just notes.” I replied walking into the building as quickly as possible.
“Notes?” The guard asked questioningly but seemed to believe me. For all he knew I could have bombs in the briefcase or something else they wouldn’t want in the Special Operations Department of International Affairs command complex. I would have Mr. Washington hear this soon.
At least I thought it would be later that I saw him.
It was not long after entering the complex did the man who chose me for this fate appeared in the hall on his way outside the complex.
“What do you have there?” His cold voice echoed over the walls and I instantly froze. I instinctively held onto the journals tighter as I turned to the man with the power of life and death in his hands.
“Notes.” I replied hoping Washington would listen like the guard did.
It was a long shot that missed completely.
“The first and most enforced rule in the S.O.D.I.A academy is to respect all authority. What do you have and where did you get it?” Washington asked in a calm voice that made the shivers I was feeling in my spine develop their own shivers.
“They are my journals.” I said feeling my voice deflate.
“And what do you plan on doing with them?” The man asked slightly annoyed.
“I…” I started.
“I believe the point of this program was to erase your past. Did you not agree with that?” The man asked, his eyes darkening.
“I just thought…”
“You weren’t thinking.” He said with absolute authority, “You were not to retrieve anything from that house. Or did you not know…”
I cringed and felt my eyes water with stinging tears.
“Hand me the journals.” Washington ordered slowly, “I will dispose of them.”
I wanted to pull them close but I knew I Had to give them up. Slowly I put the handle in my leader’s hand. He took it quickly and dropped it in the hands of another guard behind him.
“Now I will excuse your insolence, this one time. I demand total respect.” The man said leaning in closer, “have I made myself clear?”
I was shaking and barely muttered,”…sir…”

No comments:

Post a Comment